The North Aisle
Following the extension of the chancel in 1892, it was decided to increase the floor area of the church and, in 1897, the north aisle was built, in honour of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. It provided additional seating and enabled the north and sout galleries to be removed together with the upper galleries at the west end,leaving only the west gallery. The pillars replacing the old north wall are of Aberdeen granite. The small altar and rails were added in 1921 as a memorial to Charles Albert Walker, a chorister who was killed in action in 1915.
Reference have been made earlier to the War Memorial which can be seen on the south wall, but which was situated in the north aisle untill 1939 in memory of James Everden, a former Churchwarden.
Mention should be made of the vestries which were also added in 1897 and to which the north aisle is the principal access. It should be noted that entry to the church via the north door could no longer be gained after 1897 and thus the west door, benath the tower, achived major status.
The Tower and Bells
The tower is part of the original building of 1732. Around the string-course above the bell-ringing chamber there is a Latin inscription affirming "This same building being destroyed by disatrous fire King Geroge II most generously ordered to be rebuilt by Act of Parliament".
The church boasts a fine peal of eight bells, originally made by John Applebee and Richard Phelps. They were installed in 1736, four years after the present church was built, and paid for by the public subscription. The bells have been recaston a number of occasions,the most recent being in 1923.
The present clock was provided by the Gravesend Imporovement Commissioners in 1886 and now belongs to the Gravesham Corporation (Borough council).
The tablet on the west wall of the nave to the south of the tower commemorates Charles Sloane, a local architect, who built the church. The inscription should read "Here no envy dwells" - not "swells" (see Sloane's Will).
This was covered originally with lead. In 1872 the lead was replaced by "best Westmorland slates" which have in turn been superseded by Stonewold tiles between 1976 - 1978..
Verse for the Day
Sunday Morning - 10AM
Sunday Evening - 6PM
Wednessday Morning - 10AM